Saturday, October 23, 2010


  Last weekend was such a whirlwind! I've basically spent the entire week still recovering! My parents drove into Atlanta on Friday afternoon so we could primarily go to the Eagles concert. P and I were very impressed with how quickly Mom and Dad made it into town (my dad always says getting us out of the house is like a "herd of thundering turtles"). We decided to eat at Verde and drink margaritas and beer before we headed down to Piedmont Park to listen to the Eagles. We did the whole "green" thing and rode the Marta as the concert people asked us to. The Marta was packed with concert-goers and we just moved along with the crowds until we reached our destination. I started panicking while we were on the Marta as the news was saying "no high lens cameras" or something like that, but when we got to the park, my camera passed through easily whereas my dad's backpack got the big no!

  Anyways, it was an awesome concert though we were a little far away from the stage. We sat on a hill under a big tree and had almost as much fun watching drunk people fall multiple times as they tried to climb up the hill. I didn't really get any good shots of the band since I didn't have a long enough lens, but it was an awesome concert!!
   On Saturday morning, we woke up way too early to go watch m cousin, Sam, run in his cross country meet at this high school. It was a beautiful course and nice to see where my cousins go to school since I hadn't ever been up there in all the time I've been in Atlanta. Horrible, I know!

  After we made it back to our house, we ran over to Havana to eat some Cuban sandwiches. Patrick had been multiple times to their old location before it was burned, but this was my first time and oh my goodness, I cannot wait to go back! I highly recommend it! Then Patrick went to go coach his soccer team while Mom and I went to go see one of her friend's son's twins who were born on Friday. And my dad went to go see another type of baby, the Lotus. Once we got back home, we watched our Auburn Tigers scare the crap out of me as we played Arkansas. Then we had to leave after 5 to go eat at Woodfire Grill. Oh, it was amazing! Dad and I had the fried okra for the first course while Patrick and Mom had the "local African squash soup" which was amazing! Mom and I decided that we could have just ordered four courses of soup and fried okra and I seriously might have to do it next time! Then my mom and I got the risotto for the second course and Dad got the scallop and Patrick ordered the pork belly. The risotto was creamy and I enjoyed the flavors, but the pork belly was what we should have all ordered. It was delicious! For the third course, Mom, Dad, and I all ordered the pork loin and Patrick sampled the duck. I also decided I should have ordered the duck while I thoroughly enjoyed my pork, but I think I would have liked sampler of each. Last of all, Dad and I had the caramel cake and Mom and  Patrick got the chocolate banana bread pudding. I refused to share my cake (as did Dad), so I didn't taste any of Patrick's though I think mine was better. Bananas and bread pudding? I don't think so.

  On our final day with my parents, we woke up and drove to the Highlands to eat brunch at Murphy's. Even though I get my hair cut down in the Highlands every six weeks or so, I always forget about eating down there. I really enjoyed the brunch as I got their version of eggs benedict which was spectacular. Patrick got the corned beef hash which was surprisingly good. My mom ordered the French toast and my Dad got the Southwest frittata. We got to sit outside on the front porch and the weather was perfect. After brunch, we stopped by a flea market because I'm looking for a small cabinet for our dining room but we didn't find anything. Then we ran down the street to check out the Brookhaven Arts Festival. I only wish we had had more time to browse through every booth, but it was probably a good thing since we did end up purchasing three stadium paintings of Auburn, Ole Miss, and the Bears. I've got to get them framed and then figure out where we are going to hang them and then I'll show them to you!

  I was so glad that my parents got to come over and see us and we had so much fun!! I only wish they weren't so far away (only 6 hours, but too long for a weekend) because I enjoy hanging out with them! Thanks for coming!! Love y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment