Friday, July 22, 2011

Crab Stuffed Mushrooms with Horseradish Dipping Sauce

  Yesterday, while waiting for Patrick to get out of surgery, I discovered Pinterest. How have I not found this little gem of a website before now? I have no idea, but I am now obsessed!! I have already discovered new recipes I have pinned so I can try them. I decided I would make crab stuffed mushrooms tonight for dinner. I have copied the recipes for the mushrooms and for the horseradish sauce below from  this blog: http://neo-homesteading.blogspot.com/2010/10/crab-stuffed-mushrooms-with-horseradish.html
  I was impressed with how easy these were to make (I've always been scared of cooking seafood at home) and how delicious they were! I almost might just create crabcakes from this recipe and leave them off the mushroom next time. Patrick cleaned his plate too, so I think it's a keeper! I'm not sure, but I'm hoping I can reheat them tomorrow in the oven and we can polish them off (a little wary of reheated seafood, but I've eaten crabcakes the day after before and haven't died yet) for dinner. I threw together a caesar salad to top it all off (using the caesar dressing recipe I've written about before) and I had a small glass of my favorite pinot while Pat ate his with a 7up. (My photos below)



Crab Stuffed Mushrooms:
6 medium sized portobello mushrooms about 2" in diameter
4-6 button mushrooms
extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper

8 ounces crab meat (I used claw)
2-3 tablespoons diced red bell pepper
2-3 tablespoons chopped chives
1 egg
1 teaspoon mustard
2 tablespoons mayo
1/2-1 teaspoon old bay seasoning
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
*fresh cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a bowl combine crab meat, pepper, chives, egg, mustard, mayo, old bay (I use a good deal of old bay). Stir to mix and add panko, do not add too much you just want enough for the mixture to bind together. 

Remove stems from the mushrooms, using a spoon hollow out the centers and then toss mushrooms with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Using about 1-2 tablespoons of filling stuff crab filling into the mushrooms. Place on a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the filling is golden. You don't want to over cook the mushrooms or they will be too moist and the filling will become soggy.


Horseradish Dipping Sauce:
1/2 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
2-3 tablespoons mayo
1 tablespoon horseradish (or to taste, but I use A LOT)
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/2-1 teaspoon hot sauce 

Stir to combine. For a fuller fat version you can use more mayo or substitute the mayo in this recipe for horseradish cream. 

Try both of these recipes and I promise you won't be disappointed! Now I'm off to join Pat in dreamland (hopefully, we will both sleep better than last night's sleep for an hour, wake up for an hour, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment