Tuesday, October 4, 2011

An Assortment

I saw this trailer on another blog (A Cup of Jo) and I might need to find this movie when it comes out! I grew up on the muppets and Sesame Street and love a good story about the puppeteers!


Right now, the Roo is laying on his side and barking teeny, little barks in his sleep. Hilarious.

This week I am working a different, later shift and I am trying to get used to it. Next week, I start the shift that I will be on for a while until an earlier 12 hour shift opens up and I'm just hoping I can stay awake that late! I thought I would get up earlier since I don't have to be up until later, but nope, I am loving sleeping in! (My mom will say she is totally not surprised about that one because she knows I like to sleep late and go to bed early.)

Anyways, I made a superb meal for us on Sunday night and I am still reaping the benefits from it tonight! Score, leftovers! You should make this. Easy and delicious!!
The finished product-messy, but delicious!
Onions and carrots after browning
Browning the meat
Before cooking in the oven for 3 hours

On the Menu:
Pioneer Woman's Pot Roast
Pioneer Woman's Mashed Potatoes
Baked asparagus

After 3 hours in the oven. YUM!
I will try to thicken the sauce up some the next time I cook this roast and turn it a little more gravy-like by adding either flour or cornstarch to the broth mixture after I deglaze the pan before I add the meat back into the pot. I also may try to keep the onions more on top of the meat because I didn't like how completely mushy they were. The carrots, however, were so good! I couldn't believe I actually liked them because I normally don't like my carrots cooked at all, but I kept trying to fish out more to eat!
Mashed potatoes baking
Slicing the pot roast (falling apart, not much shredding involved on my part)
I used heavy cream in my mashed potatoes because that is what I had in the fridge, but I also think I could add milk instead of half and half or cream. These potatoes are delicious and very good heated up the next day too!



Over the weekend, I was able to go to Athens to watch UGA play MSU with some of my girls and we had a blast! We drove up on Saturday for our girls' weekend and met up with my bestest's cousin, Amanda, who had driven up to Athens Friday night. Danielle, Kat, and I met up with Amanda right before the game and I stupidly didn't bring any sunscreen since I forgot that it would get hotter than 50 degrees in the stadium. We were in the State section in the corner of the endzone and we all got burned, but I definitely have a great sleeveless shirt burn. Whoops. I guess that's what happens when you haven't gone to the beach in over a year nor been able to get to any sort of pool this summer. Lovely.
Danielle, Kathryn, and me
The score wasn't so great for MSU, but Amanda who went to UGA was happy. We ate at Mellow Mushroom after the game so we could watch the Auburn game and then did a little shopping where I found an awesome gameday dress! War Eagle! We met up with Kathryn's cousin for a bit and then headed to the hotel to rest and watch some more football.
Amanda, Danielle, Kathryn, and me
  After having a great time and laughing our heads off (so glad our neighboring hotel guests didn't report us as they could hear us through those thin walls), we got ready to go downtown for the night. We went to a few different bars and we all just laughed how different it is now that none of us are in college anymore. We had a great time and finished off our night at Pita Pit since the gyro restaurant that Kathryn and I had originally wanted to go to was already closed for the night. I miss having a gyro every week from Pita Pit! It was a nice way to end the night and it was a quick, fun trip!

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, we went to Pita Pit in Athens last time we were there for an AU vs UGA game. Sounds like you guys had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, it was so good! I miss having it so much in Auburn!! We did! That's for sure!!

    ReplyDelete