Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Breaded

  Recently, I have been in the mood to bake loaves of bread. I have made the go-to white bread, banana bread, and apple cinnamon bread. Unfortunately, the first loaf of white bread I made, I had to throw out because it never rose and was like a freakin' rock! UGH! I'm not sure if it was because I didn't have enough patience to let the yeast work its magic or if the temperature of the kitchen wasn't warm enough or if my yeast was just bad. Anyways, I bought a new jar of yeast and started over with my bread. I gave the yeast like half an hour to work and my bread rose very well!
Yes, look at the yeast go!

Dough

The finished product
  It's very nice when a loaf comes out well. Patrick loves this white bread and the only thing I have a problem with is that you have to eat it within a week or it will spoil. (Of course, this really is only a problem when I bake 4 loaves at once!)
  Try the recipe yourself!

Ingredients:
1 tsp quick acting or bread machine yeast
1 cup and tbsp hot water (115 degrees)
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 and 3/4 cups bread flour (if sticky, add 1 tbsp extra at a time)
1/2 tsp salt
Melted butter, for drizzling over finished dough

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put all the water and yeast in a bowl and set aside. After a few minutes, add half of the sugar to speed up the yeast prep. Once the yeast starts to get frothy, add the rest of the sugar, oil, salt, and flour. Mix together until the dough cleans the side of the mixer. You can add more flour if the dough crawls up the hook.
Grease another bowl with vegetable oil, remove the dough, and place it in the oiled bowl. Coat with oil and then cover and place the dough in a warm place to rise for one hour.
After an hour, the dough should double in size. Form a ball and then roll out on a floured counter to remove the bubbles. Shape into a rectangle and place dough in a greased bread pan. You can drizzle with oil or butter and cover and rise for another hour.
Drizzle with melted butter and bake for 28 minutes. Cool on a rack and there you have it!

Recipe from http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/breads/white-bread-3/

No comments:

Post a Comment