Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day Musings

We were supposed to go to the beach this weekend, but Tropical Storm Lee had other plans. Pat and my family didn't really want to drive down there just to hang out in the rain. Instead, last night we let the beach come to us! I made Kathryn's shrimp creole, fried some okra, and made some crusty bread to dip into the skrimpies. Delicious!! After eating wings on Friday night and pizza on Saturday night while watching football ALL DAY LONG, I figured we needed to have a little home cooked something.
Frying that okra!
First time frying okra Mama's way!
This trick never gets old--Pat was entertaining himself while I cooked
I was so proud of our meal that I had to FaceTime my fam in Jackson to show them what they were missing! I know, I'm terrible! For dessert since Pat has such a sweet tooth, we tried to make chocolate mousse. It was a little too grainy and bitter for me, but it has a good base so I will try it again soon. I'm thinking that I will have to add a little sugar and something else to get the flavor where I want it. I am excited to try it again and welcome any tips or advice from y'all!
Mmm, fried okra
I have to include all of these recipes because they were just so good!! (And I need your help on the mousse!)
Shrimp creole

Printables:
Artisan bread (I found this recipe on this amazing blog. Go here, you won't regret it--http://www.alexandracooks.com/2008/06/22/artisan-bread-in-five-minutes-a-day-seriously/)
Shrimp Creole
Fried Okra
Chocolate Mousse

Easy artisan bread
It finally started raining a little last night and has continued today. Even though we desperately need the rain, blegh is how it makes me feel! However, I enjoy how all three of us are nestled on the couch as we catch up on our shows from last week. I've got tons of recipes I have been meaning to share, but I just haven't made the time. Perhaps I can blame Pinterest or foodgawker for this? Alas, I will try to do better!

To finish out this weekend, we finally made it out of the house today (in the rain!) and picked up some canvases from Michael's for an upcoming project that will hopefully turn out well and we ran over to Total Wine and found some great bottles we had been wanting to try. Then we ran over to my neighbor's house (hi, Laura!) for an inside cookout and chowed down on some great food. I took over one of the Comeback dressings I made yesterday (yes, I couldn't decide which one I wanted to make, so I made both) and everyone liked it! Can't wait to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment