Thursday, February 3, 2011

Back to Food

Southwest Chicken and Corn Soup from Taste & See

Ingredients:
6 cups chicken stock
2 (10.5-ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
1 (16-ounce) jar salsa
3 cups cooked, cubed chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken)
1-2 chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped (I couldn't find these at the store, so I used chopped jalapenos)
2 cups frozen corn, thawed (I used 2 cans of corn)
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I bought cilantro, but forgot to use it-whoops)

Directions:
In a large stockpot over medium high heat, combine chicken stock, salsa, and cream of chicken soup. Bring to a boil, stirring until well combined. Simmer for 8-10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Add cooked chicken, chiles in adobo, corn and black beans. Simmer until heated through for about 15-20 minutes. Stir in the cilantro just before serving.


The addition of the jalapenos ended up being a bonus, I think, because it was really spicy! I also added a pinch of salt and pepper. I'm so glad to have found this blog!! All of the recipes I have tried from here are amazing!! (Pardon the terrible picture below.)

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Ingredients:

2 lbs fresh broccoli
4 cups chicken broth or stock
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
black pepper, to taste

Instructions:
In a large soup pot, saute the onions and garlic together for a few minutes. Then add the broccoli tops on medium heat in 4 cups of chicken broth and cook until tender. Whisk the flour into the milk in a separate bowl. Then turn heat to low and add milk mixture, cheese, and pepper. Allow to cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes until the cheese melts. Watch closely and stir frequently. (Enter me freaking out running between the kitchen and living room to catch the beginning of the game--good thing we have dvr!) Last, use an immersion blender to liquefy some of the broccoli tops. Serve with a little more cheese on top!

I made this for us the night of the National Championship and it was very easy and quick! Yum! The next time I make this soup, I probably will try not to get overexcited with my immersion blender. 
Cutest sous chef there is!





No comments:

Post a Comment