Sunday, February 27, 2011

Weekend Recap

  This past weekend was wonderful! I had to work on Friday and didn't get home until late, but it was nice to be able to hang out with Patrick. We watched our DVR'ed shows that we had missed over the week and just relaxed.
  Saturday, one of my good friends, Katie, came into town for dinner. Allison, Kate, and I met up with Katie at Tin Lizzy's for margaritas and dinner and we had such a blast! After dinner, we decided we still wanted to hang out so we headed back to Allison's apartment for a while. Allison's new place (only 8 months and I was just finally seeing it!!) looked great!! I was impressed with all of her decor and how clean everything was!
  On Sunday, Pat did some work while I made another loaf of bread (I made one earlier this week) and then I took Wrigley to puppy class. Thankfully, Patrick made Wrigs run around the house before we left so he was a little more worn out than usual. After class, Pat and I decided to walk up to Yoforia with Wrigley and then do the short loop around our neighborhood. We ran into a few of our neighbors and let Wrigley run around with her dachshund and two other puppies. Wrigley loved it, but was so tired that I almost had to carry him home and at 36 pounds, he is a little heavier than he used to be!! He collapsed once we got back home and fell right asleep as I made another loaf of bread (banana bread) and dinner.
  Last night, we tried another recipe from the September 2010 Real Simple. This time it was sausage and chard saute over polenta. It was pretty good, but this was the first time I have ever made polenta and I'm not sure if I just didn't know how to season it or what because it was a little bland. I think the next time, I might add more salt, butter, and some Tony's. Anybody cook polenta much and have ideas about how to integrate more flavor? Any help would be much appreciated!!


Sausage and Chard Saute with Polenta
Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds Italian sausage
1 bunch Swiss chard
Garlic cloves (I used minced garlic)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Polenta, cooked according to package

Instructions:
Cook 11/2 pounds Italian sausage in olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat for 10-12 minutes. Then remove and slice the sausages. Add 4 cloves sliced garlic to the skillet and cook for 1 minute over medium heat. Add 1 bunch of Swiss chard (cut into strips) and season with salt and pepper. Cook until wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Then add the sausage back in and serve over the polenta, cooked accordingly.

  I also made some braised brussel sprouts, but Patrick thought they were absolutely disgusting. I didn't find them that awful but they just lacked flavor. Hmm. Oh well, I guess I'll stay away from the brussel sprouts in the future as that is the first thing that Patrick has actually spit out that I've made. Ha! I hope your weekend was as pleasant as mine! I am loving this 60 degree weather in FEBRUARY!! (Should I be scared that cold weather will strike again?)

No comments:

Post a Comment