Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Dinner with Erin

  Since I'm living in the world of a public accountant (husband) as is my friend, Erin, I decided to have her over for dinner. I found some awesome filets on sale for $11 at Kroger yesterday and got really excited about cooking them in the oven. I searched today online for some recipes and found one on Epicurious that sparked my interest because of the Gorgonzola butter. I called my grandmother to get her recipe for her potatoes and onions and decided I would make asparagus too. Unfortunately, I didn't get my sweet bread done tonight, but Erin, you are welcome to come over and grab some on Friday!! I have to say this was a fabulous dinner and Erin and I ended up splitting a filet because they were much bigger than I thought they were going to be. Even though I think the filet could have been a little less done, I was impressed I could cook the filet in the oven! It was the first time I've cooked a filet like this (rather than making Pat grill it) and it was pretty easy! I just covered both sides with cracked pepper and salt and popped them into a 450-degree oven for 10 minutes. I think I ended up cooking them about 3 minutes too long since they cook in the cast iron skillet after you pull them out and I was nervous about the inside being too bloody. I should have probably cooked them for about 12 minutes and then let them rest, but oh well! Still fantastic! I really enjoyed the Gorgonzola butter and will definitely make it again. 

Gorgonzola butter
  • 2 heads of garlic, top 3/4 inch cut off to expose cloves
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (about 2 ounces)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place garlic on piece of foil; drizzle with olive oil. Enclose garlic in foil. Bake until garlic is very soft, about 1 hour. Cool. Squeeze garlic cloves out from papery skins into medium bowl; mash garlic with fork. Mix in butter, cheese, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer Gorgonzola butter to sheet of plastic wrap. Using plastic wrap as aid, form butter into 1 1/4-inch-diameter log, wrapping plastic tightly around butter. Chill until firm. (Can be made 2 days ahead; keep chilled.) Cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.

  I baked the potatoes in the microwave and then sliced them up into pieces and added them to the onions that I had started cooking them in a little olive oil on the stove. I added a little salt and pepper and they were ready to go! (Added the Gorgonzola butter and they are even more delicious!!)
  I made us the asparagus (I like them very crispy and little, so I tend to err on the side of burn) baked at 450 degrees after putting a little olive oil and Tony Chachere's over them. Yum!!
  I also have out my red placemats for V-day and loved the fresh irises I found today at the grocery store!! I have decided I need to start buying more flowers for the dining room table. Maybe that will make me want to keep it clean for us. Erin, I'm so excited we are going to start cooking and eating more while the boys are finishing this year's busy season!! I enjoy cooking for two much more than one!

No comments:

Post a Comment